Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Official Guide to Being Nature Counselor (and Loving It!)

The campers are coming! The campers are coming!

Welcome to CYO Camp, new counselors! I am so excited to see what magical experiences come to you all as you start your journey. I will be joining you in July after I finish my summer classes, and I can not wait to meet everyone!

I wanted to type up a little something (a guide, kind of), specifically on being Nature Area counselor, how to love it, and how to make the kiddos love it too. I loved every day I spent at camp last summer, but something about being the Nature Guru was one of my favorites.

Yep, those are antlers. Oh yeah. 


So, if it's your first time at Nature Area, you may be a little nervous, and I know I was. So let's get to some activities and tips you might love to use during your time as Neeeture Counselor:

Activities

For All Groups

1. "ORT Goals/ Worm Bin" 

This is one that I did with every group, despite gender or age. You know that ORT and compost are a major part of camp, but you'll also find that a lot of campers don't completely understand the "why" behind it. Why is ORT bad? Why is compost good? How does awareness of both make us Stewards of the Earth? 

  • So with this activity, I first set out a red and a green bucket on the floor of the Nature Center. I let the campers come in and sit in a circle around the buckets. This is a good time for introductions and maybe some nature-related puns. (You have to be silly, because the campers aren't always so pumped at first when they arrive)
  • Next I ask if anyone can explain why we collect ORT and compost. What are some things we eat that would go in the red bucket? And the green? Where does ORT go after we throw it away? What does CYO camp do with the compost? I'll then explain to them what landfills are, and why putting less in them makes us Stewards of the Earth.
  • Then I take out a piece of paper, and write down their group name and number on it. I say "Are you guys ready for the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE?" (You know, be dramatic. They laugh). Then say you think that this week at camp is going to have the least amount of ORT EVER RECORDED IN THE HISTORY OF CYO CAMP, but only with their help! You have them talk about how much ORT they have had on average at meals, and how they can have less. 
  • Now we ask them to make a goal. Example: "today at lunch your group will have half as much ORT as usual, and at dinner we will have NO Ort." Let them decide what meal will be easiest to have No ORT.  Then write down their goal on the paper and have the counselor keep it. The kids will love announcing at meals that they reached their ORT goal. 
Now, this activity actually works. We really did see a big decrease in ORT when we had the campers start setting goals. So go for it! They all enjoy it. Make sure you give the campers a chance to play with the worms in the worm bin after explaining to them what compost is and why the worms like it. This is a huge highlight for them. 

2. "Nature Hike/ Un-Nature Hike"


Every group I did this with loved it, especially if it was a beautiful day outside. First I'll explain the Nature Hike:

  • First have the campers make a little journal out of a paper bag and ribbon, or paper, or whatever supplies you have handy:



  • Then have them write their name and group number on the front, and decorate it however they like.
  • Next, explain what kind of wildlife and nature we have at CYO camp. Maybe tell them a story about a time you saw a fox or caught lightening bugs at camp. 
  • Now, we take them on a walk to the Darn and back, from the Nature Center. Let them stop along the way and draw things they find (a turtle, a bird, a pretty wildflower). Let them take their time exploring and finding. 
  • I always make sure to show the kids the bird boxes along the way, and stop at the Raptor Box before the Darn. Explain to them what birds of prey are. The boys love that part.
  • Once we get to the Darn, I let them stay for a while, drawing what they find in the area and just mostly enjoying the sunshine. 
  • Then we walk back and I tell a riddle or some puns on the way, and that's it!

Now, the un-nature hike. This one is fun too, but a little different:

  • Before the group arrives, set up a bunch of trash and things you don't find in nature between the Nature Center and the Darn. When they get there, talk about things you would and wouldn't find in nature. Have them explain. Then explain to the kiddos that you're going for a walk, 
  • Along the way to the Darn, ask them if they see anything that we talked about that doesn't belong in nature. Have them collect it and give it to you (you can carry a bag). 
  • There are ways to vary this and make it exciting. Have them get into pairs and reward cool points to the pairs as they turn in trash. Be creative! 
Again, all ages and genders really like these activities, because they get to go on a walk to the Darn and back, and it's fun to just be outside. 

For Girls Ages 11-15

1. "pop tab bracelet" 

You will need help from your Area Manager getting supplies for this one, but if you can get the supplies, it's worth it. 


  • If you can learn how to make these (they are super easy. You can find a tutorial on YouTube to learn before teaching it), it is so much fun. Girls love this, and it makes a great "sustainability" lesson. Teach them about what it means to "re-use" something, and how it makes them "Stewards of the Earth"

2. "Magazine bracelets"

This one is usually made with Starburst wrappers, but at camp you would have to just cut a bunch of magazine pieces up for this activity. Again, totally worth it!


  • Same thing, just teach sustainability with this one. Why is it important to reuse wrappers or magazine paper? :)
  • You should pre-cut the paper, to save time.

3. "The River Runs Through"

There are instructions for this one in the Nature binder at camp, but I'll explain how I did it a little differently. 

  • Have each girl draw a river on a paper bag. Her river can be anywhere. A city, a backyard, CYO camp, an imaginary place, whatever she likes. 
  • Then connect all the rivers on the ground or picnic tables, and make it into one long river. Point at each river and say "who drew this one? Can you tell us about it? Where is it?" 
  • Then ask "what kind of waste do you think might get into your river?" 
  • As you go down the line, tell it like a story. "The waste from this river accidentally flowed into this backyard river, etc." Show how waste from one person's picture travels all the way down the whole connected river.
  • Then I like to take out all the trash and have the kids guess how long it takes each item to decompose. They will be so surprised! 

Boys Groups 

Okay, this is the toughie. Boys have the hardest time at nature. But it IS possible for them to have a blast.
  •  I like to start boys out with a run-around game like Sedimentary Blob. Let them get some energy out from the start.
  • Boys also really enjoy nature hikes to the Darn. 
  • The "Bat" activity and run-around game is always fun for boys. 
  • Whatever you do, don't make them sit still for too long!
  • Worms are a hit. Always. 
  • The "mining for chocolate" activity in the binder is really fun, but warning: ONLY the more "tame" groups can handle it. If you have a really rambunctious group, they won't play the cookie game right, they'll just eat the cookies. Oops. 
Okay, I think I've hit on all the major fun activities for Nature! Here are some closing tips:

  1. If a camper brings you a bug, or a turtle, or any kind of wildlife, be gracious! Make a little habitat for it in the nature center, and keep it there for a little while before setting it free. Campers love to feel appreciated, and you should always encourage them if they are being excited about nature and wildlife.
  2. Don't let the campers hurt your feelings. Sometimes they will say "I HATE NATURE AREA!" and this isn't your fault! Just do your best to make it as fun as possible, but remember that you aren't Horses or High Ropes. The kids can be a little honest sometimes. 
  3. Whatever you do, make sure when you are recording the ORT on the dry-erase board, that you are using Dry-Erase markers....Don't get in a hurry and use a sharpie on accident....Oops. Haha..

Well that's just about everything I wanted to say! Best of luck to all of you counselors out there, returning AND new! I can't wait to join you in July!

Love Always,

 Hannah Banana

No comments:

Post a Comment