Okay...I have an announcement (cue summer camp announcement song).
For those of you I know in person, please don't kill me for not telling you this already. It was a big BIG change and I wanted to be sure it was the right decision before I made it official.
Well I'm making it official. Officially official. Blog-ficial.
*drum roll*
I have changed my major to Pre-Nursing, and am only a couple semesters away from applying for the (official) College of Nursing.
Yeah, okay, obviously this is a huge shift from Elementary Education but that's what I am about to explain so... Read on!
Here's the thing about picking a major in high school: It's actually, typically a blind shot in the dark.
Around the 10th grade, I started telling myself I would never make it in the medical field (even though that's been my dream for as long as I can remember).
I started believing the classes would be too hard, and that I wasn't smart enough to get through it (I know, right, can you say "pity party"?)
So I chose a major I was completely comfortable with. I knew I had it in me to be an excellent elementary teacher someday. (And I still believe that a teacher is one of the best things a person can become.)
But then I actually GOT to college, and realized that hard classes are nothing more than hard classes. You study, you push, you cry a little, and then there it is. A beautiful, glimmering A in the class. The math...the science...it's all just a challenge, but not a reason to settle.
So I started thinking:
Why am I letting a few classes stand between me and what I really want in life?
What I REALLY want is to become a nurse. It's my dream.. And the moment I realized that I have been selling myself short out of fear, I made the appointment to meet the Nursing adviser right away.
And I'm proud for changing my major. Why? Because...
Changing Your Major is Something To Brag About!
It may seem embarrassing to change your major. You may feel like people will judge you for "not having your life together"
NEWS FLASH: no one really has their life together in college.
It is so much worse to settle for a life path that you hate just because you feel like it's too late to change your major. Change it now while you are still in college. Change it now while you still have the choice to dream big.
Be proud. No one is going to judge you when you are happy in your career (even if it took a little longer to get through college).
My mom used to tell me something when I was a little girl. Maybe I forgot it a little along the way, but I sure remember it now:
"Dream big, and God will dream bigger."
God walks before us ALWAYS. He blazes the trail. I am not afraid...in fact I've never been so sure of anything in my life.
Good luck to anyone who is ready to change their major. Do it and BRAG about it.
You got this.
Love Always, Hannah <3
Don't forget to like A Muse on Facebook! Just click here :) Do it!

I'm very proud of you for overcoming your personal challenge! I love you.
ReplyDelete