"She just looks like a basic white girl"
Most Popular Definition of 'Basic White Girl' :" A female who conforms to her surroundings and claims she is unique. She often drinks Starbucks, wears Ugg boots and Chacos and posts selfies on social networking sites every day. Also uses hashtags that don't have anything to do with the picture itself and wears oversized t-shirts." --Urban Dictionary
Today I will be posing the question: What are we actually saying to girls when we call them 'basic'?
I was called 'basic' for the first time last fall.
Autumn has been my favorite season for as long as I can remember. I remember loving fall as a toddler, rolling in the leaf piles with my brothers and collecting acorns as treasure.
So when expressing aloud one day last fall that "I just love Autumn so much" and being laughed at for being a "basic bitch", I felt an odd sense of hurt.
I was called 'basic' again that winter when I learned how to knit warm, chunky infinity scarves for myself and friends.
I wore my hand-knit scarves with a comfy pair of warm winter boots and a big, chunky sweater. I felt very confident in this outfit because it was warm, cute, and partially crafty. The last comment I expected to receive when I when I went out in public was "you just look like a basic white girl".
And truthfully, I wasn't okay with this. Why was I being made to feel like I am just like every other girl, when there is so much more to me as a person?
And I realized something then: the phrase "basic white girl" is not only hurtful, but a sick double standard as well.
What are you really saying to a girl when calling her 'basic'?
The term 'basic' at its definition is something that is simple and fundamental.
By calling a girl 'basic', you are saying to her that she not only has no qualities that separate her from others, but also that she is plain and has little value above others.
What right does anyone have to take one look at a girl and tell her she has no worth?
Based on what? Her shoes? Her coffee?
So freakin' what if she likes stylish, trendy outfits. You can't blame a girl for wanting to look cute. So she has Chacos...okay? They are sturdy and perfect for all weather-types.
Oversized T-Shirts: lots of girls wear them because they come from social events they went to with friends...Big deal.
So what if she enjoys a hot Starbucks drink sometimes? Starbucks is delicious, last I checked...
The point is, calling out girls on being basic is destructive to their self-esteem.
No one likes being told that they are just like everyone else and that they are not unique. "Basic Bitch" is a phrase that NEEDS to be stopped. Now.
Basic White Girl is a sick double standard
Since when is it okay to consider other trends acceptable, such as "Dad Bod" or "Frat Boy Style" without it being destructive in any way, but in fact admirable and cool?
So "Frat Boy" style-donning people can go around looking exactly the same in their clothes and trends and be considered attractive and popular...but when girls do it they are just "annoying basic white girls"?
Everyone has a right to feel like they can wear whatever they want without being attacked by society.
(Because only in our society do we have people being judged relentlessly for being gay or different in any way, but also for being "too normal" as well. )
Ladies: Wear whatever in the hell you want. If it makes you feel confident, wear it. If Chacos are comfortable and Uggs are warm, wear them.
It's up to us to make this phrase stop.
Stop calling girls 'basic'. You're not funny. It's a phrase that is meant to belittle and hurt females.
Stand up for yourselves. You are ALL unique.
Love always, Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment