Upon moving to Alabama about 9 years ago, my family decided to take on the responsibility of raising and owning a Vizsla puppy, whom we decided to name Lucy. (Yes, she is named after Lucille Ball, because, after all, We Love Lucy).
![]() |
| She also goes by Lucy the Wonder Dog, Lu Dog, Lu-Lu, Best Dog in the Neighborhood, and Grumbelina (when she's feeling grumpy). |
Lucy has also has her own theme song, of which we sing to her daily.
Deciding to get Lucy (well, honestly she chose us..) was the best choice we could have made, and here's what she teaches me:
#1) Love is blind
I just woke up.
My hair is filthy and sticking up in 9 different directions.
Yesterday's make-up is smeared all over my face.
It's pretty rough.
But then I hear the racing pitter-patter of Lucy's paws, signifying that a certain puppy is coming to greet me to the day, like she does every morning. She bounds on to my bed and lays directly across me. She's genuinely happy to see me, regardless of how I look.
And this is true for all dogs. They don't see your clothes, make up, hair....they don't care about the color of your skin or the shape of your body. Dogs see straight through us to our souls, and love wholly and blindly. This is the way I strive to be, and Lucy reminds me how to do that every morning.
#2) Appreciate the little things
Dogs truly appreciate the smallest things. For Lucy, a walk around the block can be the highlight of her day. I mean, she is happiest when she is in nature with her family....and that just shows that life to her is defined by the little moments, which are the most important moments in life. When I see my dog explode with joy just at the arrival of a family member to our home, I'm reminded that family, friends, small pleasures...they should be valued whole-hardheartedly every day.#3) It's okay to be a little impulsive
Maybe it's because Lucy isn't the MOST disciplined dog out there....but she has a tendency to know what's good and attempt to take it.
I mean it's hard to be mad at her for trying to reach the brownies on the counter with her nose because, I mean...brownies are delicious! Of course she knows she shouldn't do it and she typically complies fairly well when we tell her no. But the truth is, she knows what's good and what she wants. Basically, dogs teach us that we don't always have to deny ourselves of pleasures. Sure, you're on a diet and shouldn't have that cookie but more importantly life is short and you should go ahead and let yourself have a little fun here and there.
It just amazes me that dogs have a sense for knowing life is short, and they aren't even aware of it.
#4) Forgive and forget
I'm going to make a confession here...I've snapped at Lucy unjustly before.
It's been a bad day and I'm really not in the mood to deal with her barking incessantly at the mail man. So I yell at her to "please SHUT UP!"...and then I've done it. I've hurt her feelings.
She goes off into another room and curls up alone.
I feel horrible of course. So I go in there and all it takes is a smile and a "Heeey Lu-Girl" to get her tail thumping again. And just like that, all is forgiven.
Can you imagine if humans were this way? Being able to genuinely forgive and forget about whatever and whoever has wronged us...It would be a whole new world. This is the kind of person Lucy inspires me to be.
#5) Trust your intuition
Dogs are led by their instinct, and they rely on their intuition. As humans, we are capable of doing that too and should try to practice listening to what are gut tells us more often. After all, it's usually right.
Thanks for reading!
Love always, Hannah

No comments:
Post a Comment